Sunday, February 03, 2008

A bit of Haiti in GR

This morning, I got to attend a Haitian church here in Grand Rapids - what a treat it was for me! It felt really good to be surrounded by Kreyol again. I missed it! The church service was really good as well! God was definitely present there. The service was both in Kreyol and English. We sang a couple English songs, and a couple Kreyol songs. The announcements were mainly in Kreyol, and the prayers were usually a combination of English and Kreyol. The message was in English, but translated into Kreyol. The pastor is Haitian; however, he preaches in English because there are a few people who don't speak Kreyol. I would guess there were about 30-35 people at the church - of all ages. There were 3 other "blancs", one who I just happened to meet in Haiti! Go figure! The people were all super friendly, and many mentioned they hoped they'd see me again. I'm sure they will! I loved being able to speak Kreyol again. I must admit I did have to think about what I was saying a bit more than usual, but I haven't lost my Kreyol yet. :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to that church in 05 right before I was supposed to come to Haiti the first time. I was amazed at how nice and welcoming everyone was! I can't wait to go back now that I can actually communicate with them!!