Friday, October 20, 2006

Yes, I'm still alive ...

It has been a long time since I last posted anything ... sorry! Not that I really have much exciting to share tonite, but thought I would at least let you all know I'm still alive!

Dixie and John left for Canada and the States a week ago, and they will be gone for 3 weeks in total. So, that makes things quite a bit more busy for me here. In the last week, I've gone down to the US Consulate 3 times to get children's US resident visas. This is something that Dixie usually does. I go for children's transit visas, but the resident ones Dixie usually does. So, this means leaving the house at 6, with the hopes of arriving at the Consulate by 7. Today was another one of these days. Needless to say, I'm a bit tired tonite.

It has been very exciting to see a whole bunch of children leaving, and more very close to leaving. One family left today, another leaves on Monday, and one comes tomorrow. I expect another family to be able to come by the end of next week too. Then the following week, more should be able to come. Busy, busy!!! But, this kind of busy is good. It is so exciting to see children be able to leave with their new families, even though for some of them, I know I will miss them like crazy! But, I could never wish for them to stay here longer than they need to.

When families come, one of my jobs is to take them shopping ... so, I've been doing lots of shopping lately! I have 2 main places that I take families - Boutelier (a look out point overlooking all of Port-au-Prince), and the Baptist Haiti Mission. Both of these places have street vendors, so I get to do lots of bartering for families. Many people hate the bartering part, but I don't mind at all. To me, it's like a big game. I can usually get some very good deals! At the Mission, there is also a gift shop and a restaurant. I can always get my chicken fingers and fries and ice cream fix when at the restaurant there. Nope, I am definitely not too deprived!

Well, that's just a bit of what's going on in my world - especially lately. Sorry I haven't been more faithful at posting. I will try to do better!

4 comments:

rachel joy said...

good to hear from you, even just about your every day activities.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you again - and to know you are still doing well!

Anonymous said...

Hey LaDawn, I enjoy checking out what your up to! Have a super day!

Barry and Norine Plett said...

HI- so cool to check out your blog--I'm getting into this--

It is good to know that God is rewarding you with fulfillment and peace to do what HE has made you for!!!

Keep pressing on! There is always more kids to love!

Bless you today.