Thursday, November 02, 2006

Police check ...

Well, the time finally came ... my first time being stopped by the cops! I have been dreading the day ever since I started driving, and I now know why! It was just a random stop, which they frequently do. He asked for my license and registration, so that is what I gave him. Well, then he started going on and on in French, of which I understand pretty much nothing. I asked him to please speak in Creole, because I could at least understand some Creole. He then asked me what my first language was, so I told him English. He tried to speak English, but his English was VERY limited ... so Creole it was! Well, he gave me a hard time about my Canadian drivers. I know that technically I should have a Haitian drivers, but I just haven't gottan it yet, and Molly has been here for 5 years, and is still using her American drivers. Then, turns out my insurance expired 2 days ago! How was I supposed to know that??? So ya, we were having some problems. THANKFULLY, I knew James (John and Dixie's foster son) would be coming behind me very shortly, and so I told the police officer to wait and talk to James, because he could speak better Creole. Well, I was so happy when I saw James come around the corner. So, turns out, the police officer did not even go and talk to James. As soon as he saw James, he suddenly became my best friend, and was joking with me. I was NOT impressed, although at the same time relieved. When I talked to James later, he said that these cops knew him pretty well, and so he figured that is why they changed their tone as soon as they saw him. I couldn't believe the difference in just seeing someone they know! So, that was my first police check experience. Needless to say, I will now push that it is time I get my drivers. And, tomorrow we are going to renew the insurance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting experience! Glad things worked out!

Anonymous said...

:) that previous message was from me (Pam)