Saturday, July 28, 2007

Time for an update ...

Hi all! It has been a while since I last posted, and so I apologize to those of you who keep checking back on my blog to see if I've posted anything new. Well, finally, you are in luck! Let me update you on a couple things that have been going on in the life of LaDawn.

1. Job update - So, what's going on with the job situation? I wish I could count how many times I've been asked this. As most of you are aware, 2 days after I returned from Haiti, I jumped back on a plane, and headed to Grand Rapids, Michigan, to visit Bethany Christian Services. I had been in contact with Bethany already while in Haiti; however, I really wanted to see their office, and also talk to the staff there to see if I could envision myself working there. Well, after the visit, I knew that yes, I did want to work there! And, thankfully, they also want me to work there! The role that I would have there, would be to work with their Haiti adoption program! Just what I would love to do, and where I feel I already have such a knowledge base! So, Bethany is now working on my paperwork - finding out what is all involved, and just how long we're looking at before I could move there and start to work. I had thought that I could do pretty much everything from my end here; however, when I started doing research, and also when I finally talked to someone at the US Embassy, I was informed that Bethany actually had to do everything from their end. So, I am now waiting. It has been very hard to just wait, not knowing how long it will be until everything is ready. And, also, what if suddenly the process is just too overwhelming for Bethany, and they decide it would be better to just hire someone locally. So, as I wait, I have decided to make myself useful somewhere else, which leads me to update item #2.

2. Haiti, here I come! Yes, you read that right. On Thursday, the 2nd, I am leaving for Haiti once again, and I am SO excited! I had already had this crazy thought in my head that if Bethany would tell me that it would still be a couple months, that maybe I should fly back to Haiti. Well, then about a week ago or so, Dixie and I were communicating back and forth, and the idea came up that I should fly down there, and help out while she is in the States for 3 weeks in August. So, that is exactly what I'm doing! I am leaving on the 2nd, and getting back home on the 1st of September. I cleared it with Bethany first, as I didn't want this trip to jeopardize my job there. They encouraged me to go as they really didn't see anything being done and ready before at least the end of August anyway. So, that's what I'm doing! It is very hard to believe in a week from now, I will be there. This all seemed to have happened very quickly! However, I am very excited about going back, and seeing all the children and the staff again! I have been missing them all so much and can't wait to give them all big hugs and kisses again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi LaDawn ... Earlier this year, I stunbled upon your blog and have been reading it ever since. I love hearing of your adventures. I am a fellow lover of Haiti, as I move there in September to teach ESL and health classes. I just wanted to wish you a wonderful trip back to Haiti in August. God Bless ...

rachel joy said...

pretty crazy that you're going back! Although it will be short, I'm sure it will be very sweet. But having to say goodbye all over again ... ? Hopefully it's not so heart wrenching this time.

LaDawn said...

Jessica, I'd love to hear more about your plans for September! Why don't you email me at ladawn_penner@yahoo.ca.

Rachel, ya, not sure how the good-byes will go. However, I do think they won't be as hard because I'm already going with a very different frame of mind. That should make a difference. And, I fell I have already done my "big" good-byes.

Brigitte said...

my dear LaDawn I'm so happy for your job (is it in the USA ?).. and I love the fact that you come back in HaƮti in August, for everyone it is such good news ... all my love XXX brigitte

Anonymous said...

Hi LaDawn,
Praying for safe travels for you tomorrow as you go back to Haiti.
Cheryl
PS. Thanks for sending the music books back!