Thursday, June 01, 2006

US Consulate


Sorry I haven't posted anything lately, but not too much is going on here ... well, at least not Blog worthy. There is ALWAYS something going on. Not that today's "news" is really all that Blog worthy, but it's a bit of an insight into what I all do here in Haiti. Whenever children are leaving Haiti, and flying through the States, they need to get a US Transit Visa. One of my jobs is to go with the families to the US Consulate to get the children's Transit Visas. This can be a very drawn out ordeal. The longest I have had to sit and wait at the Consulate is 6 hours. And, I have to add as well, that the shortest I have been there was 1 hour. Why the difference? Well, the time I was only there for 1 hour, the child cried (and cried loudly) the whole time we were inside. So, all the workers felt sorry for me ... or probably more just sorry for everyone else who was there ... and I got to move to the front of each line I had to wait in. It was actually great! I must admit, I have since been tempted to pinch a child the minute we walk into the building so that it would go so much quicker (just kidding ... I would NEVER do that! :o) But really, 1 hour or 6 hours ... which would you choose??? Today's visit to the US Consulate with 2 - 2 1/2 year old boys going to Holland lasted only 2 1/2 hours, which is actually very good. The boys were both very well behaved. For the first while, they were very timid, and just clung, but then they opened up more, and became a bit more lively ... but still under control. The thing is too, that after waiting there that long, we don't even come home with the actual visas. The officials have seen the children and parents, and approved their visas. Tomorrow we will pick up these two boys' visas. Thankfully, we don't have to go back; we can just send one of our workers.

No comments: