Thursday, January 11, 2007

Back for a week ...

So, it has been just about a week since I've been back. I was very pleasantly surprised by the lack of work waiting for me when I got back! It definitely helped that Terriot (the guy who runs around downtown getting paperwork for me) was also on holidays. And then, with it being Christmas, many offices were closed the week between Christmas and New Year's. So, after a couple days, I was caught up, and ready to tackle my regular work. And for that, I will never be caught up.

Yesterday, we were called by IBESR (Haitian Social Services) and asked if we would take in a newborn girl that was abandoned there. We said yes, and our driver went and picked her up. Well, when she got to the house, we realized IBESR had neglected to give us any details about this girl. We were VERY surprised to see that this little girl's brain was outside her head. Yes, you read that right. When looking at the front of her, it was as though her brain was coming out of her forehead. Wow, I have NEVER seen anything like it before. Dixie immediately said this little girl could not survive. Even in North America, a child like this would not have much of a chance for survival, Dixie said. Well, Dixie was right. She passed away during the night. Just like all of our children, this little girl was also created by God, and was one of God's Littlest Angels. It is good to know that this little angel is now in the arms of Jesus up in heaven! What better place for her to be??? I thought about posting a picture of her, but thought it might be offensive to some, so chose not to. It sure is amazing what kind of children all pass through our gate. For some, we can help them long-term, and others not. We do what we can!

So, that is about it for now! I hope the new year is starting out to be a good one for all of you!

No comments: