Sunday, September 24, 2006

Crazy Mack truckdrivers ...

Yes, okay, so my title maybe doesn't sound very good ... but that is how I'm feeling ... actually I'm being pretty easy on them! A Mack driver caused me to have an accident this morning, and so I am still pretty upset. So, what am I talking about? Well, here goes ...

This morning, I was driving, and we were on our way to church. We were almost down to Petionville, and I was following a VERY slow Mack truck. So, we came to a clear area, and I decided to pass him. What we do here in Haiti when we are passing anyone, is honk at them. So, there I was honking, and I saw the driver look in his mirror, so he obviously saw me. He pulled over to the right a little, so I started to pass. Well, I was beside him already, and suddenly he vears to the left, right in my path. He was about to hit the side of me, and so I turned more to the left. Well, I didn't have much space, and I ended up driving up a curb. Well, we majorly bounced, and then came to a stop. When we stopped, I didn't know if the truck had ended up hitting us, if I had hit the side of the mountain, or if I had just hit a really big rock. All I knew is that we had really bounced! Well, turns out my vehicle somehow shifted itself into neutral, and so I put it back into drive, and managed to get myself over to the right side where I parked it, and got out. No damage to be seen! PTL!!! However, something was very wrong with the steering. When I looked at the front tires, they were pointing towards each other. There was no way I could drive it anywhere. I'm just glad I got it to the right side of the road. A vehicle that was 2 vehicles behind me stopped, and a very nice young man got out to check if we were all okay. He went off on the big truck too, telling me it was definitely all the big truck's fault, and how you can just never trust those guys! They think they own the road!!!

I finally got ahold of Molly at the toddler house, and told her about what had happened. She said she would call James (John and Dixie's foster son), and they would come down to get us. When they came down, we ended up calling a tow truck, but the driver said he would not be able to make it until 1:00, so we were in for a long wait (it was about 10:00 by the time they got there). James ended up driving the volunteers back home, and Molly and Joyce stayed with me by the vehicle (it is not such a good idea to just leave a nice-looking vehicle at the side of the road - even if it can't be driven). After dropping off the volunteers, James came back down to wait with us - he wanted to be there when the tow truck driver arrived. Well, the truck finally came around 1:30, and boy, were we ever happy to see it. We were quite tired of just sitting in the vehicle (although, Molly did find a keychain game of Tetris, so that kept us entertained for awhile).

Before Molly, Joyce and James arrived, I was trying to think of as many blessings that I could, and there were many. I just kept coming up with more, and the volunteers were also helping me out. It was so easy to be very upset, and also frustrated with myself, but I had to think of the many blessings. God was definitely with us in our vehicle. Noone was hurt, and it could have been SO much worse - so many more things could have gone wrong! I think that my morning prayer for safety during the day will take on a whole new meaning after today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness LaDawn! Sounds like there were angels protecting you guys this morning! I'm so thankful that none of you were hurt!

Anonymous said...

Wow, LaDawn! I'm sorry that happened to you, but like you said, you guys are definitely blessed that no one was hurt!
PTL!

Anonymous said...

I can totally picture the accident...good times in Haiti. I am glad to hear you are all okay though!! God promises to protect and He pulled through.
I can just picture you and Molly and Joyce sittin' in the vehicle together...wish I could have been there:)
So...the "young man" that stopped to help you..was he cute? ha ha. Always lookin' for options for you, Ladawn!! Love ya!

Trish.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so sorry to hear of your accident but at the same time, I am very thankful that everyone is okay. I agree with a previous entry, saying only those who have been to Haiti can truly picture what the driving is like. PTL for the spot where you ended up - and also a good thing that you did not have a load of little ones for an appt. or something.