This is the question that is heavy on my heart right now. Half an hour ago, another one of our little angels passed away. Again, a completely unexpected death! This was a little guy who had a great day today! He had a bit of a fever during the day, but the fever did not seem to bother him at all! I just spoke to his volunteer, and she said he had done exceptionally well today. He had played really well, and she's really been working on walking with him, and today, he had had an out-of-the- ordinarily good walking session with her. He had seemed to have more energy than usual! And a few hours ago, he ate a good supper. This little guy has sickle cell, which is a chronic illness (I'm sorry, I really can't explain more than that, because I am the least medically inclined person around). But, this may have had something to do with his death. At 7:30, the nurse checked his temperature, and it was then 102, so she immediately gave him a cold bath, which brought it down a little. The nurse started him on penicillon, and also gave him tylenol for his fever. A short while later, he started breathing really quickly, and so she wanted to start him on oxygen. However, he had a seizure, and passed away.
This little guy was quite special to me. He was one of our little ones who came in extremely malnourished, and has definitely had his up-and-down times, but he was now doing SO well. His smile absolutely lighted up the room he stayed in. This is definitely one of those times when I just cannot understand why God chose to take him. Thankfully, I do not have to know ... but sometimes it sure would be nice to understand more.
Please pray for all of us here at GLA tonite. Again, deaths like this affect all the staff - those that worked most closely with him, and everyone else too.
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am so sorry to hear of this little ones passing. I can't even begin to imagine your pain. I will definitely be praying for you and everyone else at GLA.
I'm keeping you guys in my prayers...I can't begin to imagine how hard it is to deal with.
Kristin
so sorry to hear of the death of the little fellow. Was he there when I was there? Hard to understand, that's for sure.
I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this pain, again, so soon. Are you allowed to show us a picture of him from before he died?
How's the little girl you posted a picture of that is close in age to Marty? (he was born May 21)
Post a Comment