Today 4 of us from GLA (Dixie, James, Miss Vikki and myself) attended Claude's graduation, and we were all so proud of him! Dixie and John have helped Claude through medical school, and today marked the end for him! This was my first "big event" in Haiti, and I must say, it was quite the occasion. The ceremony was held at a convention centre - and let me tell you, the place was beautiful!!! Just like a convention centre at home! Chandeliers on the ceiling, carpeted floors, air conditioning (yes, that was the best part!), and the grounds of the place were amazing! Real grass!!! They also had a pool on the property. It sure didn't feel like I was in Haiti for those few hours that I was there!
The ceremony was supposed to start at 10 ... but it actually only started around 12. They did make up good time though. It was supposed to last until 2, so we were really concerned when it started to late. Well, turned out, it was over around 2:20 or 3:00. Not bad, I'd say! The ceremony consisted of a few speeches, a few songs, a dance special number, the turning over of the torch to the upcoming graduating class, the reciting of a "doctors' pledge", and then of course the handing out of the diplomas. They also had some awards for the professors. I'm sure I've missed a few things, but these were the main things on the program. There were 90 graduates - 60 girls, and 30 guys. I was surprised at these numbers!
After it was all said and done, Dixie took us all out for lunch/supper. A couple of Claude's friends and his mother joined us for supper too.
So, I'm sure there are some of you thinking, "who is this Claude guy?" Well, as I mentioned earlier, Dixie and John have helped him through medical school. They have known him since he was a young teen. Throughout his schooling, he has lived both up at the Baptist Mission (where Dixie and John got to know him originally) and here. Throughout his time here, he has become a good friend of mine. I really value our friendship. And no ... for those whose heads are thinking too far ... we are nothing more than friends. I figured I would just come out and say that, as I'm sure there will be some of you who will ask. Saves you the hassle of asking! :o)
Saturday, November 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ladawn, the "just friends" line is way over used.
It's always nice to hear how things are going!
Post a Comment